Raid Thread - "we'll never get to the last phase anyways"

Post » 24 Nov 2015 18:45

We are trying to plan a time where people would be around and interested in doing a raid? We'd like to aim for sometime this weekend although it has been suggested that 3pm UK on Sunday (after missions) might not work for everyone? Is there a time on Saturday that feels better for people? Or would people prefer to wait a week so that we all have time to perfect builds etc?

Its worth reading through our thread about Raids for information and strategies as we will need to follow a plan in order to get things done: viewtopic.php?f=76&t=4059

You will also need to be willing to use vent to communicate as its pretty essential to be able to talk to one another easily!

Let us know your thoughts!
ku ku
[MYST] Council

Re: Raid Event - When are people free?

Post » 24 Nov 2015 19:26

I'd prefer (can only do) evenings.
aaronM
[MYST] Member

Post » 24 Nov 2015 19:31

Evenings from me too.
Kamui
[MYST] Member
Resident Hoarder

Post » 24 Nov 2015 22:41

Weekday evenings (7pm - 10pm UK), can do multiple sessions. I assume this is weekly?
Evil
[MYST] Member

Post » 26 Nov 2015 15:05

I second ivo's suggested time slot
Real Badasses Eat Chocolate Chip Cookies.
Timmeey
[MYST] Member

Post » 26 Nov 2015 19:11

My work is too variable so if we do try setting it up every evening that would be perfect ^^. So far however I've never seen 10 people online at the same time during most evenings, so it's gonna be difficult I think.
It's hard to explain puns to kleptomaniacs because they always take things literally.
Faure
[MYST] Member
The Overmind

Post » 26 Nov 2015 19:29

evenings 7pm onward is good... and we are going to need several sessions a week. :P
Entropy
[MYST] Member

Post » 27 Nov 2015 08:30

evenings prolly work better for me, atm lots of exams so no idea about availability so maybe weekends better but its better to just ask a date. this weekend possibly sat-evening and sunday
theblackerbanana
[MYST] Admin

Post » 29 Nov 2015 23:53

Pretty sure im free all evenings, unless stuff happens but should be able to give notice
Puppy
[MYST] Council

Post » 02 Dec 2015 00:13

Hello all :D.
I would definitely want to join in raids, the practice raid we did was a lot of fun.
Evenings are best for me, preferably if we could sort some fixed days of the week, it will make it easier to keep free.
Can't wait to finish respec into viper's to join in the raiding properly :D.
-Dan
Rhamiel
[MYST] Member

Post » 02 Dec 2015 18:50

Evenings could be a problem, I often have to work in the evening (after working all day) and cannot commit to every evening. Also I play snooker (IRL) on Wednesdays, so that evening is definitely out for me.

I could do one evening, but having looked at recent posts on the interwebs, it seems the makeup of the raid needs to be extremely specific - so, essentially I believe anet have totally failed to get the populace interested in raiding as you need 1) a specific class, 2) specific gear and setup for that class, 3) know how to play that setting inside out, backwards, forwards, in your sleep etc.

In other words I believe they have, currently, made raids "hardcore" and not for casuals which is a real shame. The bosses leave almost no room for error and everyone has to focus really hard for the 8 minutes and change in order to down the boss. This was pretty evident on our initial slap at the vale guardian.
Obviously experience at wiping and learning is a must until we down it, but at least two things were evident - we don't have enough condi based damage dealers and we need people who can literally move, almost instantly when the circle of doom appears (the one where you need 5 people in it)...

Oh and if you think vale guardian is bad, I took a look at the tactics for the 2nd boss - it's, if anything, even worse than the first guy...
Slim
[MYST] Member

Post » 02 Dec 2015 22:52

Ok... a few things:
"it seems the makeup of the raid needs to be extremely specific"
It's not extremely specific, there's lots of room for variation.
You want someone with high toughness to be a tank, this can be a mesmer, necromancer, warrior, guardian, engineer, etc. (plenty of choices there).
You want someone to heal (ele and ranger are great at this but there are other classes able to heal people as well like rev).
On vale guardian you want 2/3 condi, can be engi, warrior, ranger, necro, plenty of variation there.
And then you want to bring as much DPS as you can from the other slots.
There are a lot of variations possible.
link
Of course certain team comps are optimal, and the top guilds who are using these can clear vale guardian with 2:39 remaining, gorseval with 3:13, sabetha with 2:23 (2 few weeks after release). So they can still easily be killed with a suboptimal team comp. I managed to kill vale guard with pugs multiple times with a fairly random comp, I killed sabetha with my raiding guild while someone was dead for the last minute of the fight.
Skill > class.

"know how to play that setting inside out, backwards, forwards, in your sleep etc."
This is endgame PvE content, don't be a slacker, you want to want best in slot gear and food for this (trinkets and weapons at least, armour can probably be exotic), you want to practise rotations so you're bringing as much as possible for your team. It's not a bad thing that you can't bring a flamethrower engi, bearbow ranger, staff guard, rifle warrior and other bs builds where you contribute absolutely nothing to the team.
You will wipe at a certain encounter, you analyse what went wrong, the next time it goes better -> you improved your skill.

"Oh and if you think vale guardian is bad, I took a look at the tactics for the 2nd boss - it's, if anything, even worse than the first guy..."
Honestly, it's not as bad as it might look. Sure there is a lot going on but everyone has specific roles to deal with certain things. It's mainly a DPS check where personal skill is important. Overall it's pretty similar to soloing Lupicus, but as a team :p

"we don't have enough condi based damage dealers and we need people who can literally move, almost instantly when the circle of doom appears (the one where you need 5 people in it)..."
I can play condi, aaron is working on condi, rhamiel has condi, that's 3 people.
You need 4 people for the green circle. Generally the people who go in there are 3 condi + healer and there's 1 for backup, preferably a player with teleport like mesmer/ele. There is plenty of time to move to that circle.

In my opinion these fights are the endgame content that GW2 was lacking. It really pushes you to improve your skill.
Last edited by Evil on 07 Dec 2015 18:51, edited 4 times in total.
Evil
[MYST] Member

Post » 03 Dec 2015 09:51

I've got a few options but none are 100% finished yet. Condi Ranger would be one, also wanted to have a rev in the healing / condi spectrum but neither are really finished when it comes to equipment as atm most of my chars are dps builds. The only finished condi char I have would be necro (full verata stats)
Normal dps builds (with ascended gear) would be Thief, Guard and Mesmer. idm changing builds but would be nice to have a bit of prior notice so I can practice new rotations.

atm for me evenings are best as I should be working on other stuff during the day. ;) Tuesdays are blocked with dnd and from February onwards Thursdays because of choir, otherwise most should be doable.
“War does not determine who is right - only who is left.” - Bertrand Russell
Cinna
[MYST] Council

Post » 11 Dec 2015 12:24

I think we've had more than 10 people sign up so far for quite some time already
Evil
[MYST] Member

Post » 13 Dec 2015 12:59

I'm also gonna bump this before I have to pug it instead :(
aaronM
[MYST] Member

Guild Wars 2 discussion
Next

Return to Guild Wars 2